Saturday, 20 April 2024

Day 24: Ribadeo to Lourenzá (20th April 2024)

 Again an early start and with very low temperatures. The sunrise was beautiful. 

Apart from the initial view from the bridge we didn't see the sea or the coast today and won't anymore  as we are moving inland and up into the 

mountains. 

Again I'm talking about the granary stores or hórreos. They really are unique and I suppose are a form of cultural identity in Galicia, as in Asturia. The are different in Galicia. They are more ornate and appear to be located much higher and are taller and narrower, sometimes with spikes on the roof. They are noticeably different between the two regions. 

The countryside was beautiful but challenging as it was quite steep in places both for ascents and descents. There was also no where to get coffee for first 20km. 

The marker stones are notable different also in Galacia. There are more ofl them but the direction of the shell seems random but as they always have an arrow it does not matter. They also have the distance to Santiago to three decimal places, why to three decimal places I have no idea. 

I am staying in the Savior Albergue in Lourenzà. The room has capacity for 18 but it's only half full because of the time of year. There is some serious snoring going on. 

Chatted last night with a set of youngster who have formed a group, they don't all walk together but meet at the Albergues, cook meals together, smoke and drink together. Tthey are good fun but given there half my age, I'm keeping my distance, I don't want to become the Daddy of the group. I also meet some Canadians from  New Foundland, Caroline looked to be in her 70s but has done loads of Caminos. Also met John who was from New York, who made it clear he is not a trump supporter. 

Ok need to go back to sleep as  I am writing this at 4am. 





















Today: 28.69

Part 2 Total: 267.71 km 

Total:  582.46 km

Remaining: 162km 




Day 31: Pedrouzo to Santiago de Compostela

  So a very wet start, Jens and I agreed to do the last day together, so packed up and got the wet gear on, exited the Albergue crossed the ...