Saturday, 14 October 2023

Day 3: Zarautz to Deba

Even earlier start this morning, I was  wanting to get there before the rain hit. I left the hostel at 6.33am. 


The start of the walk was easy walking along a walkway with the road on my left and crashing waves on my right. Looking back here is Zarautz, the Spanish keep it a secret, way cheaper than San Sebastián with a massive beach. 


As you can see it was still dark but was well lit and had an easy walk for about 4 km to Getaria. Here the Camino headed in land and up over a big hill. Was doing well until I hit the outskirts of the town and lost the street lights. It was pitch black. So I had to get out my head torch, first time I can ever remember using one. 

Selfies don’t work to well🤣

Unless you do them profile 😂.


Sun rise was 8.15am. 

Next decent was into Zumaia where I stopped for coffee and cake. Followed by a step climb out. 

So far no rain but it did start to drizzle and on the rain radar it was threatening. 

More climbing and then a big steep drop into Deba, another 4km hike to my accommodation. 

On the way out of Deba, I met up with Harrison from Australia who is in Europe for three months and doing the Camino as far as Santander.   View of the Atlantic from the front porch. 

Accomodation has been excellent with them even doing a clothes wash and dry for me and will be ready after dinner. 👍. 

I did beat the rain by thirty minutes as at 13.30 it started pouring 🌧️. 

John Kelpie is arriving today and should be here at 18.00. 



Today: 26.32km (Longest so far) 

Day 31: Pedrouzo to Santiago de Compostela

  So a very wet start, Jens and I agreed to do the last day together, so packed up and got the wet gear on, exited the Albergue crossed the ...