Thursday, 18 April 2024

Day 21: Soto de Luiña to Querúas (17th April 2024)

 Whoever said the world was flat has never walked the Camino de Norte. Today was a roller coaster. After hiking out of Soto de Luiña I reached the coast and from there for nearly 20km it was a series of descents and ascents in and out of heavily wooded valleys the drop straight into the see. Definitely  seemed to be designed for maximum punishment. However it was very a beautiful dramatic coastline and views out into the Bay of Biscay, so there was a reward. 

Breakfast at the Auberge was basic cereal, toast and coffee. 

Given the terrain I decide to adjust my pace so as to not work up a sweat. At about 11.00,  having complete 11km and 250m elevation I stopped for a break, Café con Leche and two lemon drizzle cakes. As I went to leave there was a big shower which I was sure was temporary so I had another  Café Leche, it passed after 20 minutes, the clouds looked threatening for about an hour and then it turned into a beautiful cool sunny cloudy day. 


I continued the up and down but on several occasions I got quite close to the sea. The cost line was beautiful wit lots of cliffs etc. 

I stopped for lunch at 14.30 in Cadaveu. 

Arrived at the hostel about 4.30. Tired but fine, the feet were soar. Another 26.96km completed.


Hostel was modern and comfortable. They provided an evening meal for €16. I showered, did some washing and had two very small beers. Chatted to some German pilgrims and went to bed. 
























Today: 26.96
Part 2 Total: 174.09km 
Total: 488.84 km
Remaining: 252.3km (approx)




Day 31: Pedrouzo to Santiago de Compostela

  So a very wet start, Jens and I agreed to do the last day together, so packed up and got the wet gear on, exited the Albergue crossed the ...